Try this exercise to see what it’s like to be one of your prospects:
- List five of your closest competitors
- Pull from each company’s website the one short paragraph (1-3 sentences) that best summarizes what each does
- Do the same for your company
- Remove the names and make a list of the paragraphs, mixing yours in among them
- Give them to a colleague who knows the market well, and see whether they can identify the companies the paragraphs came from
This is what a prospect encounters when shopping for your services, software or products. Do you all sound the same? How distinctive do you sound?