Take the Test:
- What does your company stand for? Can you state it in one sentence? One word?
- Would we get the same answer from each of your employees? Clients?
- Why should a prospective customer turn to you instead of someone else?
- What can you say about your capabilities that no one else can say?
- Do your proposals, marketing materials, website, etc. have a unique voice?
- Do you have such a strong market position that clients actively seek you out, and you are able to name your price?
- Why should a talented recruit select your firm over another?
- Why would someone pay a premium for your stock?
Very few B2B companies today can answer these questions in a manner that clearly sets them apart from their competition. A large part of the problem is that companies are afraid to place their bets — focus on a specific well-defined market space and offer a specific set of solutions aimed at solving specific problems. But this is necessary, if they are going to build a defensible market position with a footprint so unique that no competitor will be able to match it.
As you work on your strategic plans, positioning, messaging, offerings, etc., aim for the answers to these questions, and you’ll be on your way.